It was 1884 when Mercedes Pujol, widow of Domingo Pujol, arrived from Spain to Temecula to settle her late husband's estate. At that time Ms.Pujol donated a small parcel of land with the intentions of it being used for public burial grounds. During that time the Cemetery was cared for by volunteers of deceased loved ones. In 1929 the Temecula Public Cemetery became part of the new California Special Districts. It was then that the Cemetery Board of Trustees were appointed by the Riverside County Board of Supervisors. Today the Cemetery District has 5 Trustees that volunteer their time for the District.
The Trustees are policy makers for the District and oversees the perpetuity of the cemetery. At a regular Board meeting in 2012 the Trustees along with the recommendation of the General Manager decided to fund a 5 year renovation of the cemetery. These renovations included, , new landscaping, removal of old landscaping, removal of old benches, chairs, neglected shrubs and or memorabilia.
Some of the new additions seen at the cemetery are beautiful granite benches, private Family Estates located on the southeast corner.
Along the Northern wall there are 67 in ground cremation lots with beautiful mahogany granite upright markers. The newest addition to the cemetery is the Ossuary, a low cost complete cremation burial service.
The Trustees and Staff take great pride in the history of the Temecula Cemetery and it is the intent of the Board of Trustees to maintain this cemetery financially and visually well into perpetuity.
Donations in your name are gladly accepted, for more information please email us at : email@example.com